Wednesday, January 22, 2014

That's a Wrap



In most non-western cultures, there isn’t even a word for “babywearing.” It’s just carrying your child, it’s normal. Here, though, the term is usually reserved for the “crunchy” moms and often inspires intense reactions from outsiders who are unfamiliar with it. I will never forget the horror on a worker at Wal*Mart’s face when I took my 3 month old son and basically threw him on my back so I could wrap a long ass piece of fabric around him.

Still, to those in the community such things are commonplace. It is amazing how quickly you go from, “What are these wrap things? They’re kind of expensive… that looks complicated….” To

BUY ALL THE WRAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Recently I had the opportunity to design a wrap that is being released by Natibaby in an exclusive from Risaroo. The design is available in two colorways and blends. Harbor Fog, the black and white version, will come in a hemp blend, and Harbor Storm, the version with two lovely shades of blue, will come in a linen blend.  All of the lighthouses on the wrap are actual US lighthouses still standing today. The wrap is part of a pre-order that is open for just a bit longer, so check it out and order one! You will kick yourself if you miss this, trust me.


A fun trend right now in the babywearing community is to create “Woven Wrap Art Creations.” Basically, creating small vignettes or scenes out of your “stash” of wraps. Some of these are really creative and impressive. Check them out! My attempt was sad and pitiful, so I’ll spare you.


  
Abearham Lincoln's Birthday hahahaha





What do you think of these creations? Which one is your favorite? Have you ever made one? Please share with us in the comments! (all pictures used with permission)

6 comments:

  1. You are incredibly talented and classy, Amie. I can't wait to see Harbor in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I recognize your picture from DiaperSwappers! Great job on the wrap! I just ordered my first Nati ;) They are so pretty!

    Where can I find more wrap picture scenes? Those are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth!! You can find more scenes like this in a group on facebook called "Woven Wrap Art Creations." You'll have to request to join, but you should be approved fairly quickly and the pictures are so fun! Plus they do monthly themed contests to keep things fresh. Thanks for reading and leaving us a comment!

      Delete
  5. Those lighthouse wraps are amazing, and they have a lighthouse from my favorite place on earth- Cape Hatteras! Is Harbor Storm still going to be made? I searched for it and can't find any info on Natibaby. Also- do you have any idea of the g/m2 on either wrap? Thanks so much! -Sarah :-)

    ReplyDelete